Sunday, June 9, 2013

galapagos week 2

¡hola from isabela!
Well, I climbed a volcano. What a trip! Isabela is a nature lover's dreamland. I spent 5 glorious days in this paradise. It wasn't easy getting here. The 2 hour boat trip from Santa Cruz was terrifying. We bounced along giant swells the entire way. You have to go through a customs/quarantine process every time you leave one island to head for another. But it was worth it. This place is like the wild west. Dirt roads. Stray dogs. Chickens waking you up at dawn. And not so much like the wild west with the island's best bakery around the corner from our hotel. We danced at the "Iguana Bar" on the beach, took long walks to the tortoise breeding center and to see the flamingos. I saw the Milky Way and the Southern Cross while lying on the beach at night. And the wildlife was unbelievable- I saw sharks and penguins! And if I thought snorkeling with sea lions couldn't be beat, I was wrong. I snorkeled with a giant sea turtle! It came right up to me. What an incredible place. After hiking 10 miles through the cold wet mud to the fiery hot summit up and down Sierra Negra volcano, I am one with this place. 

Stay tuned for highlights next week from San Cristobal and Floreana. ¡Ciao!




on the way to isabela





heading up the volcano

pablo, one of our guides



near the top of sierra negra








gigantic ferns


outside our hotel




drawing class with dr. lisa, charlie, and misty







a school




baby tortoises!







beach cemetery



ewwww!


the penguins are monogamous 


boobies and a penguin




white-tipped reef sharks


swimming penguin



No comments:

Post a Comment